Still Undecided

Nanay, don’t listen to hearsays and gossips. In my  more than 10 years  of practice and experience, kidney transplant is the best and only option for Deo.” Chad, my doctor, told Nanay. “They don’t do transplant everyday compared to us. We do it everyday. Why would you think that the Philippine Government is willing to give PHP 600,000.00? It is because they know that the recipient will again become a productive member of the society and it will not be a waste” he added.

It’s 7:00 am and I already listed my name in the patients queue posted on the doctor’s clinic. I was the 7th on the list. Nanay and Roy were still on the road from Bataan. I decided to get a bottle of water from NKTI’s cafeteria and went to the admission lobby to kill time. The only place with TV and sofa where you can slouch 🙂 They arrived at 9:00 am.

How’s the matching so far?

Last time, Chad ordered Roy to have a blood exam and an abdominal ultrasound. These tests will determine if donating is safe for Roy. He told us that he will stop the matching process as soon as he sees even a smallest hint that donating kidney will harm Roy.

Roy showed the results to Chad and it was all good. The initial tests showed that he is safe to donate. More tests will be done to determine if it’s safe for us to undergo the procedure. Chad requested more tests and he insisted to take it here in NKTI. He also warned us that the succeeding tests would be quite pricey. He handed out the requests and told us to go to the Laboratory and inquire for the prices. It’s the start of the 2nd phase.

What to expect?

The tests Chad requested were all blood extraction tests for me and Roy. That includes creatinine, potassium, complete blood count, and medical abbreviation that I couldn’t understand. CMV Igc, HBsAg, HCV TEST/Anti-HCV, PRA CLASS I, CLASS II & MICA ANTIBODY SCREENING, HACT REFERRAL, SYPHILIS TESTING and many more.

I asked Chad if I need to be admitted for the tests, but he told us that it’s  just a simple blood extraction. Roy and I decided to do the tests on September 1st. If the results are good, we will continue to the next step, the phase 3. However, if not, we will look for another person with a good heart who wants to be a donor. Please pray for us.

20160819_112930

20160819_112955
NKTI quotations for our laboratory tests. Details are intentionally blocked for  our security

How’s my health now?

My creatinine level is slowly rising. About 3.8 last July to 4.2 this month. The protein in my urine is still high even though I’m taking a medicine to lower it down. My anti uric acid medicine was upgraded from 4mg to 8mg but still, my uric acid level is high. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are at normal. I was advised to maintain my drugs and continue the diet my renal dietitian gave me.

How’s Nanay?

Nanay still doesn’t want a transplant as an option. With the “horrors” she experienced with Tatay in dialysis, she would not want to go to that option either. But where else to go? We believe in miracles.

As Chad explained, there are only 3 options for me. 1st is a transplant, 2nd is dialysis, and 3rd is a miracle.  Since he’s a Catholic, he said to Nanay that he is not trashing the idea of miracles. He believed in it, but still, as he said it, we need to prepare. “We believe in miracles and I know it’s true, but for now we need to prepare” he added. Second is dialysis. We are preventing dialysis because it causes a number of complications, but I’m not saying that I will not go through it. If I badly need one, I have no choice but to do it.  Finally, the transplant.

Still Undecided

“I’m still not convinced on transplant” Nanay told Chad. “I heard a lot of negative stories about transplant patients and they take a handful of maintenance drugs” Nanay added.

“First, you must be convinced that a kidney transplant is the best option for Deo. Don’t listen to gossip and hearsays. In my more than 10 years of practice and experience, we are doing it every day, and they don’t.” Chad replied.

“But how about Deo’s Aunt with more than 400 creatinine? They didn’t require her to do the transplant?” Nanay fired back.

“Nanay, actually, we do the transplant with as low as 300 in creatinine level. As much as I would like to prevent Deo from transplant or dialysis, his biopsy tells us otherwise. We need to go for the transplant.” Chad replied with respect.

Nanay ended the “debate” with a cry of sadness and frustration, “Where will we get 2M PHP? Where will we get the money for Deo’s maintenance?”

We Need Your Help

As of now, we are able to raise 3% of our target amount for my transplant fund. We still need your help and donations. If you want to help us out to raise funds for my kidney transplant, click the donate button below. You can donate as low as $1! Thank you so much and God bless!

Donate Now

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s